Some questions about xf86-video-intel driver

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Oct 22 09:25:18 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 11:31 +0200, Simon Pasch wrote:
> >> -The Kernel apggart driver reports that the AGP aperture size is
>  >> 256MB. Is this possibly the reason, why X eats all the mem? (don't
>  >> have a BIOS option to lower the AGP aperture size)
>  >>
>  >
>  > Yes.
>  >

> So what can I do to lower memory usage?
>
> Trying to use the Option "AperTexSize" in xorg.conf device-section
> doesn't change anything.
>
> Or do I have to hack the intel_agp-code in the kernel? Just tried to
> hard-code the return value of the function intel_i9xx_fetch_size, but
> then X exits with error "Couldn't bind memory for front buffer".

If you want to decrease the amount of memory allocated in AGP, you'll
need to reduce the size of the allocations the X Server does.  We try to
choose reasonable allocations by default, and you can see what exactly
we do in the "Memory Allocation Layout" printout in Xorg.0.log.

AGP aperture is just a region of address space, not necessarily actual
memory.  Allowing people to modify the aperture size on us led to many
configuration issues because it's not what people really wanted to
control.  However, we don't have options for the allocations that would
be valid to control currently.

 Anholt                             anholt at FreeBSD.org
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com