lockup after VT switch with intel driver

Willi Mann foss-ml at wm1.at
Wed Oct 24 06:57:12 PDT 2007

Hi!

With latest git, I still get lockups on 855GM. There are two types:

- One is a complete system freeze, even a remote ssh session is frozen.
I don't know what triggers it, because occurs about 1 in 10 switches to
VT. It seems to occur much more likely when I run the notebook on
battery. Is there any way to find at least the failing component (drm?)?

- The other one can clearly be triggered by playing some video with XV.
NO matter how long I wait, the next VT switch (also when I logout) will
cause lockup and because of a segfault in some xserver code, there is a
backtrace as attached.

Since I enabled NOTrapSignals, the system is at least not completely
frozen, but the VT is black, Another instance of  Xorg makes the screen
appear again, but fails to restore non-X on VT on another switch.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0050
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0050
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
        Memory at e0080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

I'm using the xserver-xorg-core  2:1.4-1, kernel 2.6.23, only intel
driver is latest git.

I'd happily provide more data if I knew how to produce it (and upgrade
other components to latest git if that would be useful).

Willi