EXA text performance regression (Re: Initial benchmark of Glucose/i965 with expedite)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 24 16:58:13 PDT 2007

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 02:17:32 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:34:55 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> > I do have the various modules tagged locally on my machine in the old
> > state that gave about 100k glyphs/second. As I update each to the
> > latest version I'll try to see if I can learn anything more about the
> > regression.

So I'll take back the claims of any big regression. I was just able to
build the tips of the various modules and still get ~ 95k glyphs/sec.,
(that's still not *fast* but it's also not a _huge_ regression
compared to ~ 100k glyphs/sec. I had before updating).

So, there must have been other things going on in the various side
branches that were causing the ~ 30k glyphs/sec. results I was
seeing. I had assumed there was some mainline regression since I saw
the 30k number in both some experimental EXA branches as well as when
running EXA on the glucose branches.

> > [*] I'd like to explore constructing a git "supermodule" of the
> > various xorg git repositories that would make this easier. This would
> > also give us a single place to tag _everything_ for releases, and it
> > would also allow for things like a single branch name to describe
> > complex cross-module work such as glucose.
>
> Please, do. :)

I don't have the motivation of chasing down this particular regression
anymore. But I will still try out some git supermodule things for the
benefit of cross-module tagging etc.

I'll post that here when I do it.

-Carl