Scroll Lock led

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Oct 25 11:22:50 PDT 2007

  Hi,

  Sorry for my stupidity :-), but how can I configure xkb to have a more
appropriate behavior
for Scroll Lock?
  I learned that I could use it with something like:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard"
    Driver     "kbd"
    Option     "XkbModel" "abnt2"
    Option     "XkbLayout" "us,br"
    Option     "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

in xorg.conf

  And use Alt+Shift to toggle layout from/to us and br and have the
Scroll_Lock led to show the state.

  But what about when there is no function assigned to Scroll Lock, or
even better, how to give it a default behavior. I found out that Konsole
checks when Scroll Lock was pressed, and doesn't do any output until it
is pressed again, and maybe other applications use it to temporarily
disable scrollbars and the like... But then, xterm and gnome-terminal
uses Ctrl+S and Ctrl+Q, while Konsole ignores it.

  I tried a few experiments attempting to create some custom option in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg
that would use any of the usr/share/X11/xkb/compat/ledscroll "maps",
i.e. things like:

 grp:scroll_toggle     =       +ledscroll(scroll_lock)

  Well, I dont understand it very well, just guessed. If someone has an
alternative/work on it I would like to know.

  Maybe this isn't very appropriate for a graphical interface, but if it
worked like in a console, where Ctrl+S sets the Scroll Lock led and
Ctrl+Q unsets it, would also be interesting.

Paulo