$1000 bounty - enable/disable composite on the fly

Cristian Miron chris.m at plutohome.com
Fri Oct 26 01:31:31 PDT 2007

Hi,

We are using xfwm4 and we'd like to enable/disable composite on the fly. To do this, we modify /root/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/wmtweaks.xml and toggle the value here:
<option name="Xfwm/UseCompositing" type="int" value="0"/>
and then we are using killall -USR1 xfce-mcs-manager to reload the settings.

The big problem is that when enabling the composite, the cpu is 70-90% by the system for ~10 seconds, so I'm assuming it's related to nvidia drivers.

Ideas, workarounds to enable/disable composite extension on the fly without having this cpu usage ?

Best regards,
Cristian Miron