xf86-video-ati-6.7.195, no DVI output

James C. Georgas jgeorgas at georgas.ca
Fri Oct 26 04:34:06 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-25-10 at 21:26 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On 10/25/07, James C. Georgas <jgeorgas at georgas.ca> wrote:

> > BY the way, I tried his xvidtune fix, but I kept getting bad modeline
> > errors, even with numbers that match the current mode. I guess this is
> > another randr change?
>
> Probably.  I haven't looked at xvidtune, but I suspect it's not randr
> aware.  In theory it should work with the compatibility crtc, but I
> haven't tested it.

Anyway, I got my low bandwidth mode to be recognized. I found that I had
to explicitly associate my monitor section with the video output:

	Option "Monitor-DVI-1" "VP201s"

If I instead let the server associate the monitor section by default,
then it would ignore my PreferredMode directive and my custom modeline
in the monitor section. Go figure.

Also, I had to give my custom modeline a custom name. If I tried to name
it "1600x1200", in an attempt to override the bad EDID mode, the server
would freeze on startup, black screen, remote kill -9 to recover. So I
can augment the modelist, but not override it in the config file.

James