why the tabs in firefox give the same window id using xwininfo

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Oct 29 09:32:27 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:12:44PM +0100, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> sri wrote:
> > ya you are right.. but  clicking on each tab displays different content.
> > so how x server maintains the data.... each tab is having its own
> > closing button
> > what is tab in sesse of x window ..how it maintains...
>
> Firefox maintains the tabs on its own (internally). The Firefox window
> is one big X window and the xserver doesn't care what Firefox draws into it.

Er, not quite. :)

daniels at psyence:~% sleep 1 && xwininfo -tree | wc -l
1125

(sleep 1 so I could select Firefox.  Admittedly, that's also quite a few
 tabs.)

Point being, it appears that Firefox has each tab as a window, but
xwininfo only gives you the top-level window information, I assume?

Cheers,
Daniel