Need help solving Xorg slowness.

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Wed Oct 31 19:32:36 PDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 02:12:26AM +0000, Omari Stephens wrote:
>  You may want to try explicitly disabling Composite in your xorg.conf.  I
>  recently experienced what sounds like similar behavior and composite was
>  related.  See [1].  Clearly, the bug report is specific to xfce, but I
>  believe other apps were affected in my case as well.  For the record, I'm
>  running an nVidia card with the non-binary driver.
>
>  --xsdg
>
>  [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=445323

Thanks for the reply.  I've switched back to the OSS radeon driver and
do have Compositing disabled.  Still the slowness persists.  I find
that the problem is made even worse when I am in EXA mode.

I am going to get some additional oprofile dumps on this.  Initial ones
show _very_ heavey calls to memcpy() when resizing Windows, changing
tabs in Firefox, etc.

Anyone else out there have an R3X0 based ATI card they could post some
oprofile information from?

Another question... what's a good test for this sort of thing using
x11perf?  Should I use one of their pixmap tests?  I see x11perf
-shmput500 listed quite a bit here -- is this a pretty accurate
depiction of how my X environment is performing?

Ray