7.3 release progress

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sat Sep 1 02:11:07 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 08:39:14PM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> 10262:	We've had enough time with i-h in the tree, I'm fine with releasing with
> 	the few remaining input drivers non-building.

There's only one left, with a relatively trivial fix.

> *11802:	input issue, not sure how common.

I haven't been able to reproduce.

> *11831:	input issue that many people will see (though I haven't).

Ditto.

> • XFree86: Eliminate duplicate devices with HAL
>   - need a device hook to interrogate drivers if it's already them
>     i.e. if you have /dev/input/event2 open via evdev in your config
>     file already, don't hotplug it
> • Sort out something better with AEI
>   - right now, we need Option "AllowEmptyInput", but this is a bit crap.
>     was thinking maybe a DDX hook to add the default OS devices, if we
>     can't connect to HAL.
> • KDrive: Allow DDXes to override NIDR
>   - add an OS function to filter NewInputDeviceRequest, so Xephyr (e.g.)
>     can reject them if it's already got the host input drivers
> • --disable-dbus
>
> Of these, the first seems the most serious to me, and he suggested that
> input hotplug actually be defaulted to disabled if it can't get fixed.

Well, I assume the subset of people who manually specify devices in the
config and also use hotplug is pretty small.  Note that the grab
prevents you from doubling up on events.  Most of these aren't really
blocker IMO, but should definitely get resolved for a 1.4.1.  They
should all be pretty trivial to code a fix for.

Cheers,
Daniel