RandR 1.2 output name schemes?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Sep 3 08:53:57 PDT 2007

Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 17:24 +0200, Alberto Milone wrote:

>>> The names are defined by the driver, there's no consistent scheme at the
>>> moment.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Julien
>> I see... having a consistent name scheme wouldn't be a bad idea though.
>>
>> Is there a wiki or something where I can see the name schemes which the
>> ATI driver uses? (so that I can add the support for the ATI driver to my
>> application)
>
> Comparing names seems really fragile. Aren't there properties attached
> to the displays you could probe for instead ?

I agree, but consistent names would still be good as these are now used
by intel driver to tie specific modelines to specific outputs in
xorg.conf... Other tools and manual documentation would be simpler if
the names were consistent, tho' obviously not essential.

What would a ncurse based tool do to get the names when configuring X??
Would it not have to rely on guessing the output names? (or perhaps
falling back on standard names.....)

Col