GPL and missing licenses in xf86-input-keyboard? (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] xf86-input-keyboard1.2.2)

Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade pcpa at mandriva.com.br
Thu Sep 6 14:34:27 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 04:56:14PM -0300, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade wrote:
>
>>  I believe it is a minimal percentage, and I am sure 90% of people that
>> wrote Xorg code would not object to having it relicensed under GPL. I
>> would not.
>>

> A very large amount of core code is copyrighted by corporations such as
> DEC (in particular), Sun (for Solaris), IBM (for AIX), HP (for HP-UX),
> SGI (for IRIX), and The Open Group (a vendor consortium focussed on
> proprietary Unix).
>
> Getting this relicensed is the obvious starting point, so I'd recommend
> you obtain permission from these corporations to relicense to GPL, and
> let us know when you're successful.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

  I think I don't have the 'charisma' to repeat the same steps of people
that started the Open Source OSes (Linux/*BSD) to now start an Open X or
whatever (I am a follower, not a leader).
  Most of the code of the BIG companies isn't even used, or, there is so
much changes from XFree86/Xorg people on it, that the original code may
be only a few lines, and since it is an open standard, one could rewrite
the missing pieces of code.
  I would support the decision of, from now on, not making restrictions
of only accepting BSD/MIT style license in the X source tree.

Paulo