Windows intel driver versus xorg intel drivers

Roberto Bernetti roberto.bernetti at poste.it
Tue Sep 11 00:08:58 PDT 2007

Hi
I have a fujtsu-siemens amilo s1520 laptop with an intel 945GM integrated
video card with the following software:

X Window System Version 7.1.99.902 (7.2.0 RC 2)
Release Date: 13 November 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.99.902
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux duo 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP Mon Nov 27
11:46:27 UTC 2006 i686
Build Date: 05 April 2007

My configuration at home/office is with an external LCD with 1280x1024.
Under windows the intel driver allows me to switch from the local flat panel
to the extenal monitor using two different resolution, 1280x1024 for the
external and 1280x800 for the local flat panel, it allows me to use at the
same time the two monitor having the same desktop with two different
resolution.

I haven't steel been able to get the same behaviour under GNU/Linux using the
manual or the sax2 opensuse configuration tool.
My relevant xorg.conf file is:

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "945 GM"
  BusID        "0:2:0"
  Driver       "i810"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "DRI"
#  Option       "NoDDC"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "Intel"
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[3]" "SendCoreEvents"
  Option       "Clone" "off"
  Option       "Xinerama" "off"
  Screen  0     "Screen[0]"
  Screen  1     "Screen[1]"
EndSection

Do the intel engineer take for windows some feature of the hardware or is the
xorg software not able to manage such configuration or more probable my
configuration is wrong?

Any hint?

--
Saluti