DPI monitor issue question ?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 12 01:06:53 PDT 2007

Jerone Young wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out why my 14.1" Thinkpad T61 with a 1400x900 LCD
> monitor is reporting the wrong DPI to X (fonts are huge). Reading the
> README that comes with the "intel" driver, it states that the auto
> detection of DPI is the fault of the monitor and not of the driver.
>
> Below I have th output of xrandr --prop. One thing that caught my eye
> is that is say my LCD has a maximum of 1440x1440. But this is not so
> as it can only go up to 1400x900.

It has a virtual max resolution of the largest size square - this is to
allow for 90deg rotation. I'm not 100% sure where the extra 40 px came
from tho'! Perhaps you have a "Virtual 1440 1440" in your xorg.conf?

Actually looking below, output says your resolution is 1440x900 so maybe
your typing 1400x900 above is a typo above and that makes everything
fall into line as expected!

> I plan to file a bug to get a qurik into xserver, but I wanted to make
> sure to file it correctly...seeing this 1440x1440 thing makes me think
> there is a different problem. Maybe with the detection code or the LCD
> monitor.

Don't think it the 1440x1440 thing is a problem TBH.

> When I run xrandr --prop I see:
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1440 x 900, maximum 1440 x 1440

Col