Keyboard doesn't work if X was started as user

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Wed Sep 12 11:54:03 PDT 2007

Dâniel Fraga <fragabr at gmail.com> writes:

Hi Dâniel,

>> Hm, I wouldn't bet that this is the problem.  I compiled the server
>> without hal/hotplug support and the keyboard didn't work either.
>
> 	So it's a bug in keyboard driver?

I think soe

>> It's really a mess.  Now I live and work on a simple console for
>> nearly two days.  What a luck that I use emacs for everything, so I'm
>> not completely left stranded.
>
> 	The only "workaround" I found is the following (I use KDE):

[snip]

> 	A interesting thing is that when I press Caps Lock the keyboard led
> won't light. But I know the "CAPS LOCK" function is activated...

I have read something that the LED control is broken.

> 	I think the keyboard driver maintainers should revise this code.
> It's surely buggy.

Yeah, but at least I got it partly working now by deinstalling every X
component and deleting /usr/share/X11/, /usr/lib/X11/ and /etc/X11/ and
reinstalling it from scratch.

But now I have the problem that a whole bunch of keybindings don't work
anymore.

Bye,
Tassilo