News ATI drivers

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Wed Sep 12 21:39:38 PDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:

>>> They do this (wait, cue the trumpets for the std fanfare) about every two
>>> years, and so far as I know, not one single line of code has been thrown
>>> over the fence.  I've wasted well over $500 down through the years, money
>>> spent because they promised this or that.
>>>
>>> All it was in the boardroom was a minor uptick in sales, with no
>>> connection between the uptick and the propaganda machines output ever
>>> being grokked by anybody at ATI.
>>>
>>> Don't even think of holding your breath, you'll be long dead and buried &
>>> still no open src ATI drivers, for any of their cards.
>>>
>> http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/
>>
>> HTH,
>> Daniel
>>

> Will it run the 9200SE I bought 2 years ago?

Your card is supported since long time in the open source radeon driver !
Please before making such statement at least take a look as it kind of
simply
state that you ignore and don't care at all about all the work which as been
put in this opensource driver by the community.

And for your eduction:
R300 is open source driver up to x850
avivo was an 2d open source driver up to the x1950
So ATI hw have open source driver since long time.

best,
Jerome Glisse