News ATI drivers

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 13 08:52:57 PDT 2007

On Thursday 13 September 2007, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 12 September 2007, Daniel Stone wrote:
>>> http://www.x.org/docs/AMD/
>>
>> Will it run the 9200SE I bought 2 years ago?
>
>Will what run it?   Those are docs - PDF files, not drivers.

Alan, I'm sorry to be wasting your time with this piddly-assed thread.  The
point I've made, and which no one will just ignore, was that I went out and
spent something like $90 US, to buy a card that could do such as the more
recent google earth, or if I was really in a mood to waste time, play tux
racer.  That ati card, running on the radeon driver, isn't capable of doing
google earth without major breakups in the imaging, and tux racer's response
to keyboard input is so slow as to be un-playable when the video is taking so
much cpu the keyboard is ignored for 1 to 3 seconds at a time.  I was getting
<250 fps from glxgears with it, at 95%+ cpu, now with a Jaton GForce 6200-256
and nvidia drivers I get 1500 or so with just a few % of cpu usage.

I bought this card based on ATI propaganda about new drivers to be released at
the time, which of course never happened.  That's the third time I spent
money on an ATI based card, only to toss it on the shelf or use it to fix
some winblows users machine.

Lets put it this way:

I will buy another ATI based card when the cd in the box comes with linux
drivers compatible with the present state of kernel development.  (And I stay
fairly close to the quick, currently running 2.6.23-rc6 & muttering about the
scheduler, which still allows tar and friends to hog the cpu for 30 seconds
at a time while doing a backup.)

That, and only that, will change this old farts mind, which as my 73rd
approaches in 3 weeks, can be moved only with facts & then with some
arthritic lethargy.

So I'd suggest this thread be dropped, I was just stating aloud how this often
cantankerous old man felt about all the propaganda that we're awash in over
this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)