Kernel options for intel driver

Chris Pemberton cjpembo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 12:58:17 PDT 2007

Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Thursday, September 13, 2007 3:06:34 pm Chris Pemberton wrote:
>
>> Compiling the latest 2.6.22.6 kernel for my machine:
>>
>> Intel 945GM graphics:
>> Up to date 7.3 xorg released drivers
>>
>> I know about the obvious kernel parameters:
>>
>> Device Drivers ->
>>     Character devices ->
>>        <M> /dev/agpgart
>>        <M> Direct Rendering Manager
>>        <M> Intel 830M, 845G, .....
>>        <M> i915 driver
>>
>> But I'm a little uncertain about some of these:
>>
>> Device Drivers ->
>>     Graphics support ->
>>        <?> Backlight & LCD device support ->
>>           <?> Display panel/monitor support
>>        <?> Support for frame buffer devices
>>        <?> Enable firmware EDID
>>        <?> Enable Tile Blitting Support
>>        <?> Support for frame buffer devices ->
>>             <?> Intel 810/815 support
>>              <?> Intel 830M/845G.....
>>              <?> Intel driver debug messages
>>              <?> DDC/I2C for Intel framebuffer support
>>
>> Frame buffer requires the following:
>>
>> Device Drivers ->
>>     <M> I2C device interface
>>     I2C Algorithms ->
>>        <M> I2C bit-banging interface
>>

> I'd recommend against using the Intel framebuffer driver (in fact we've talked
> a bit about removing it--it can be harmful in many configurations).  So you
> can disable "Support for frame buffer devices" if you want.
>
> You will, however, need /dev/agpgard, DRI, and i915 DRM support if you want
> accelerated 3d and other features.  It looks like you have those options
> correctly enabled already (though you could disable 830M, 845G, etc. support
> if you wanted).
>
> Jesse

I was toying with the kernel's framebuffer because under xorg 7.3 I get
the following error:

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

I get this error with or without framebuffer support in the kernel, so I
wen't ahead and disabled framebuffer.

I only get this error when I allow the xserver to configure itself
without an xorg.conf file.  I had to stop using my xorg.conf file for
xorg 7.2 as 7.3 will not set up my external usb mouse using the 7.2
configuration.   I've updated to the latest xorg-input-mouse and keyboard.

Anyone know what changes I need to make to my 7.2 configuration
(attached) to get my usb mouse working again in 7.3?

Anyone know if the synaptics driver I used in 7.2 is still useful in
7.3?  (http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/).  Or can I just
configure the touchpad properties in my xorg.conf?

Thanks,

Chris