[RFC] Device hierarchy for MPX

Mike Hoye mhoye at neon.polkaroo.net
Tue Sep 18 17:24:57 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 01:16:57AM +0200, Simon Thum wrote:
> >> How about picking the last set focus? Maybe that's complicating things,
> >> but it would support a two-pointer-one-keyboard case, which could be
> >> nice in multihead configs.
> >
> > Er, that would be two-keyboards-one-pointer.  In the
> > two-pointers-one-keyboard case, the keyboard will always be associated
> > with a pointer.
> If I got it right that means I can't type into the other pointer's focus
> without actively switching SD/MD attachment? I think this should be
> possilble, also for the one-keyboard case.
>
> To quote Peter:
> >An MD can have multiple SDs attached.
> If that includes a SD attached to multiple MDs, everything's fine :)

Hi, noob here.

I'm really interested in multi-user X for shared-workspace purposes,
and what I'm hoping for is two things:

- To be able to force a specific keyboard to pair with a mouse, and
- to have a keyboard/mouse pair be able to establish ownership
  of a window.

In my awesome-future workspace, I drag a window over to my second monitor
where my friend clicks on it, I lose my keyboard focus on it and he
takes it over. That's my wish for the 2+ mouse, 2+ keyboard case; I'd
like to be able to establish those bindings either ahead of time or on
the fly, too. Also, a pony.

I hope this is the right time and place to ask for stuff like this.

--
"The early bird gets the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets
the cheese" - Steven Wright