xrandr multihead and window placement

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Wed Sep 19 00:58:25 PDT 2007

also sprach Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> [2007.09.18.1755 +0100]:
> Which is odd, because RandR reports geometry information using the
> Xinerama protocol, so I would expect window managers that
> supported Xinerama in the past to support the Xinerama
> implementation inside of RandR as well.

Well, it definitely seems like something's fishy. For instance,
maximising windows in Fluxbox (which had the best Xinerama support
of all window managers I tried) now causes the window to extend
across both screens.

And then there's stuff like http://bugs.debian.org/428797 which
makes me think that there's some nasty bug somewhere, and it looks
like it's in X.org...

> The RandR protocol spec is all we've got at this point
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/randrproto/tree/randrproto.txt
>
> You might also look at the Xinerama man page (I can't even find a
> protocol spec for this extension...). man 3 Xinerama.

Thanks,

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

"geld ist das brecheisen der macht."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche