DIX Scheduler

Jeremy Bongio bongiojp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:43:51 PDT 2007

I currently in grad school for comp sci and I was looking for a master's
thesis topic when someone mentioned the X server scheduler.
I read the documentation and code for the "Smart" Scheduler.

It's a priority scheduler with some optimizations and looks as if it's about
8 or 9 years old?
With recent developments I was thinking it may be fruitful to see if this
could be improved any further. This brings up a few questions.

1. Do you know if anyone else is working or discussed working on the
scheduler?

2. In the documentation it mentions Keith Packard had interactivity and
benchmark numbers in mind. Does anyone know which
benchmarks he was speaking of or how he measured interactivity?

3. Would there be interest in this?

Thanks!

-Jeremy Bongio