EXA - current status with Intel driver

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Sun Sep 23 08:19:17 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 06:57:57PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > > Ian Romanick did most of the pci-rework changes, though this might also
> > > be related to the corresponding changes in the intel driver. FWIW though
> > > I tried the master branch briefly on my i945 machine before pushing and
> > > didn't seem to see this problem.
> >
> > So with the current head, you are able to get 1400+FPS in x11perf -shmput500?
>
> I think so, but I'm away from that machine and probably won't be able to
> confirm for another week at least.

This problem seems to be gone with latest head of all the stuff (Xserver,
drivers, mesa, drm, etc).

However, overal desktop experience is still worse than with XAA. Your EXA
improvements seems to help a lot compared to the previous state. However,
firefox scrolling eats so much CPU that ondemand governor switches to high
frequency, this is not the case with XAA.
(this page is taken as reference:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel.git;a=summary)

Text scrolling in gnome-terminal is much slower and much more CPU consuming.

Last but not least, resume from RAM does not work. (Not sure whether EXA or
new Eric's stuff with buffer objects is the reason.)

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek