nv 2.1.x: why no acceleration with RandR rotation enabled and screen not rotated?

Giuseppe Bilotta giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 06:38:57 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/25/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Acceleration in rotated modes requires exa composite support which is
> > > not available in nv at the moment.
> >
> > Thanks, this explains why I shouldn't get accelerated output when the
> > screen is rotated, but why does nv disable acceleration tout court?
> > couldn't it just disable it just when the screen is actually rotated?
>
> It should just work; does on other drivers.  You'd have to ask Aaron
> why nv works that way.

Just for kicks I tried something very stupid (i.e. removing the line
that sets NoAccel when RandR rotation is enabled). No spectular crash,
but there seem to be serious framebuffer problems (large black botches
all across the screen) even when the screen isn't rotated. I'll see if
I can nail exactly what's going wrong.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta