intel driver not powerfull enough for 1080p video?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Sep 25 06:52:03 PDT 2007

Alwin Bakkenes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve played around with tons of settings and have installed the latest
> Xorg, intel drivers, Mesa, etc… but I simply cannot get the right
> performance from my G33 based intel video card that is part of the
> Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H.
>
> My only aim is to connect my Philips flat tv through HDMI via 1080p
> (24/50/60) Hz and play various type of video (576p, 720p, etc…) using
> MythTV.
>
> I simply don’t get the performance I need and cannot find errors in my
> XOrg.0.log. When playing a simple mpeg2 based video through DVB-T my
> image is bad, lagging in some areas especially with panning pictures,
> but my CPU (an Intel 6850) is at 10% …
>
> Some metrics: using glxgears I get 1776 FPS, is this any good for 3D?
>
> As you can see in my Xorg.0.log, the 1080p video modes available are
> 50Hz and 24Hz… Both should be non-interlaced but at 50Hz, I see a lot of
> interlacing in mouse movements for example… My TV should support 1080P
> at 60Hz non-interlaced but this is not recognized. Also, when running at
> 24Hz, the video playback becomes even worse.

> Is this simply the Intel driver or hardware not capable of driving my
> screen at 1080p or is there something wrong in my configuration?!

I can't really offer any advice here but I'd be interested in the
results. I'm currently using an ageing EPIA M10k for my MythFrontend and
while I'd prefer to use a shiney new PS3 for this task, until Sony
decides to let Linux have access to the nVidia hardware I don't think
the performance out of it will be good enough for MythTV at HD
resolutions... :(

So if I have to replace my f/e I'd prefer it was with something with
Open Drivers.... but perhaps the net will be cast open to include ATi in
the not too distant future.......

Col