Keyboard doesn't work if X was started as user

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Thu Sep 27 11:29:01 PDT 2007

Hi Peter,

> try switching to evdev for now, maybe it helps.
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> 	Identifier "whatever"
> 	Driver "evdev"
> 	Device "/dev/input/event0" #depends on your system of course
> 	Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
> 	Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
> 	Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> EndSection

I tried that with event4 (that's my keyboard) and XkbLayout "de" and
XkbVariant "dvorak", but it didn't work, too.  Instead the windows key
isn't passed to the window manager.  All other keys work and xev shows
events for Super_L when I press the windows key, similar to the events I
see when I use the kbd driver.

So I can choose between having some keybindings with Super_L working
(with the kbd driver) or having no such bindings working at all (with
evdev).

But a little more investigation showed that the problems seems to be
dependent on the layout I use.  With a simple German "de" layout all
bindings work, but the "dvorak" variant seems to break things.

Bye,
Tassilo