G965 "blacklisted" in Ubuntu Gutsy

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Sat Sep 29 18:57:30 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:27:31PM -0700, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> $ compiz --replace
> Checking for Xgl: not present.
> Blacklisted PCIID '8086:29a2' found
> aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
>
> It's a shame that Ubuntu had to make the choice between Compiz and video
> playback.  Isn't there any way to have GL and video at the same time on
> this hardware?

You could try enabling EXA (I tried this a month ago and my X server
promptly crashed on login, but I'm pretty sure that's been fixed.).  Or
tell your video players to use plain x11 instead of xv (which is what I
did).

You'll need to

  echo SKIP_CHECKS=yes > .config/compiz/compiz-manager

to disable Ubuntu's compiz blacklist.

Marius Gedminas
--
"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US companies
like Microsoft." -Some AOL'er.