ATI compressed texture formats & auto-compression

Hamish hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Thu Apr 3 14:40:55 PDT 2008

Next silly question time...

In my OpenGL SUperBible, there's a section on compressed textures. According
to the code in there you can get the hardware to compress a texture when
doing it...

Using

    glGetIntegerv(GL_NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS_ARB,
&num_compressed_format);

I get back 0 for num_compressed_format. But glxinfo seems to indicate that
compressed formats ARE available... Trying to load the textures using

  glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_TEXTURE_COMPRESSED_ARB, width, height, 0,
GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image);

fails too... Indicated by

    glGetTexLevelParameteriv(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_TEXTURE_COMPRESSED_ARB,
&compressed);

returning 0 in compressed.

glxinfo says

GL_ARB_texture_compression is supported... So why don't I get a value besides
0 when getting GL_NUM_COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS_ARB? Or am I looking in the
wrong place and the open driver doesn't actually support any compressed
textures?

TIA
  Hamish.