Current tinderbox regression (radeonhd)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Apr 11 05:59:21 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:48:31PM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> This is an assert() with a wrong structure name.
> Actually, ASSERT() should have been used, which bails out in a better
> way (leaves the VT ok), and assert() typically is never compiled,
> because NDEBUG is typically set in xorg-server.h.

commit a7e3ad1c6b455bda7c4abb352a20845d1d4574a0
Author: Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>
Date:   Thu Apr 10 10:33:11 2008 -0700

    Remove NDEBUG (assert() disable) define from the X Server.

    A few pieces of code were abusing this define for other purposes, which are
    converted to #ifndef DEBUG instead.  There should be no ABI consequences
    to this change.

    The rationale is that having the define in xorg-server.h also disables
    assert() drivers, which is unexpected, and also difficult to avoid since
    xorg-server.h is included in their config.h, and you can't put a #undef in
    config.h.  As for removing it from the server instead of moving it to an
    internal header, we probably shouldn't have unnecessary assert()s in
    critical server paths anyway, and if we do we could #define NDEBUG in the
    specific cases needed.

Cheers,
Daniel