i915 dual head woes

Richard Lynch ceo at l-i-e.com
Mon Apr 28 16:48:22 PDT 2008

On Sun, April 27, 2008 10:47 pm, Jin, Gordon wrote:
>>> Try with driver "intel" instead of "i810" in xorg.conf.
>>
>> Something to the effect of:
>> Driver not loaded; Module not available.
>
> intel 2.x driver should support dual head quite well. And I'm sure the
> latest Gentoo ships with intel 2.x driver. I don't know why "intel"
> driver not available on your system. I guess the location should be at
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/intel_drv.so. You might ask support from
> Gentoo for this kind of issue.

I went back and re-did "make install" and found it there.

I added that directory to /etc/ld.so.conf

I'm not in front of the box, but as I recall it either didn't help, or
at most only let me use the LFP.  I'll try again tonight and report
back...

Meanwhile, regarding the older tarballs...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&Inst=Yes&ProductID=955&DwnldID=9722&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

>> I've also got an i915Graphics.tar.gz from I don't even know where
>> which refuses to install, claiming I don't have a "current" kernel.
>
> I don't have any idea for this tarball either.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=955&DwnldID=8203&lang=eng

It's from 2004, which is also not likely to be newer than the git :-)

Why it says my kernel is "too old" however, is a mystery...

Both are findable by Google if one tries hard enough to find an Intel
driver rumored to make it possible to dual head xorg, since that's how
I found them...

Perhaps you could poke somebody at Intel to update those pages so they
link to the current driver. :-)

--
Can you do me a favor?
Sign up for http://Facebook.com