Window Transparency without Compositing Manager

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Aug 7 06:56:12 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 15:40 +0200, saad shams wrote:
> Yes, without ANY composition manager (including xcompmgr). I was
> trying to get an overview from the code in xcompmgr that what is it
> doing. But still in the middle of it....
>
> So, one thing is sure from you that using XShape, translucency cannot
> be achieved.
>
> I have read somewhere on the net that I can achieve alpha-transparency
> (aka translucency) by using
>
> - XGetImage > Blend Source & Destination > XPutImage
> or
> - XImage + mask (i havnt made the mask yet, but i will try if
> time !!!)

That will be really slow.  And you'll only be able to get the contents
of the root window reliably.  And that only if you happen to know about
the _XROOTPMAP_ID property.

You're basically asking how to achieve result A, without using the
technology invented specifically to make A work.  You want to cut a loaf
of bread, but you'd rather not use a knife to do it.

- ajax