Xorg Version numbers

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Fri Aug 8 14:23:26 PDT 2008

The 4.x version numbers most likely refer to the old XFree86 version
numbers.
X11R6.x basically refers to the monolithic code base version before
packages got split up
X11R7.x basically refers to a set of packages (each with their own
version number) that makes up an X11 release
X11R7.2 contained xserver-1.2
X11R7.3 contained xserver-1.4
X11R7.4 will contain xserver-1.5

--Jeremy