xorg server with xinerama and composite extension

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Aug 13 08:15:41 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 13:09 +0300, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 11:33:57AM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Rui Tiago Cação Matos schrieb am 09.08.2008 01:13 (localtime):
> >>
> >> Adam Jackson just answered this some days ago:
> >> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-July/037601.html
> >
> > Thanks a lot, looks like I didn't search carefully enough, sorry.
> > Withou any technical relevant background I get the feeling that the
> > current composite extension isn't very useful at all. Is there a major
> > rework planned or should I better look for alternatives of my
> > transparent inactive consoles (I loved that very much since one can
> > transcribe the underlaying console... but now I have 3 screens, so less
> > overlapping consoles...)
>
> We're basically getting rid of Xinerama (in the code sense, not the
> protocol sense), and doing proper multi-GPU dispatch with shatter.

I should point out that while I work on this every once in a while, it's
not my primary project atm.  This is a project that totally needs a
champion.  I'm totally happy to kick in with the code I've got and brain
dumps of how I think it should work, but it's not seeing a lot of
activity right now.

X needs more superheros.  Sign up today!

- ajax