Warning: evdev changes - no auto-grabs anymore

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Sat Aug 16 14:51:53 PDT 2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to add another application that is affected by this issue.

I use pbbuttonsd on my Dell laptop to enable the audio control buttons,
like volume up/down and mute. pbbuttonsd manages this everywhere and not
only inside X, which is a very nice property when listening to music on
the console.

However the daemon stopped working when I switched to hotplug and evdev.
I think this is related to the problem.
pbbuttonsd runs in root-mode listening on the keyboard event device.

It stills works when switching to console, but when back in X the audio
buttons don't work anymore. Back at console they work, so it seems in X
the event device grab consumes all input before it can reach pbbuttonsd.

I haven't tried Peter's patch, but I assume it would fix my problem (of
course introducing a bunch of new ones)

Greets,
Tobias