Primary monitor of dual setup

Steven J Newbury steve at snewbury.org.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:37:19 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 17:34 +0200, Tomas Carnecky wrote:
> Steven J Newbury wrote:

> >> I'm not sure about icewm, but with gnome, you can just drag the panel
> >> to whichever monitor you want it on.
> >
> > That really isn't a solution though.  It has to be done every time you
> > expand the desktop AFAICT.
> >
> > The "right" solution has to be the ability to re-order (specify primary)
> > outputs with xrandr.  This is the only thing I'm really unhappy with
> > with respect to the xrandr monitor hotplug support.
>
> Technically, AFAICS, there is no notion of 'primary' and 'secondary'
> outputs. All outputs are equal, and reported in the order in which the
> driver detects them. IMO the 'right' solution would be to configure
> these things (such as: where should the panel appear?) in the desktop
> (gnome/kde etc). Or have the gnome panel remember to which output is was
> dragged to.

The problem is, up until xrandr, there has been an assumption by
toolkits/desktops that there is a significance to the order.  Prior
expanded desktop solutions such as the radeon driver's mergedfb and
NVidia's proprietary TwinView support(ed) specifying the order, so it
is/was a de-facto standard even if it wasn't ever intended to be so.