Xlib and mouse events

Benjamin BOUCHER boucher.bn at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 04:02:22 PDT 2008

Hi,

I don't know if it's the right place to ask my question but I can't find
help anywhere else.

I want to make a C program which capture all mouse events, not only those
from a window I created myself, is it possible ?
if yes, how ?

To make it clearer, I am developing an application using the libVLC and I
want to capture mouse events on the video display but the libVLC consumes
all mouse events so I can't get them.
I used a global mouse hook under windows and it works fine, but I don't know
how to do under Linux.

I tried capturing events directly from /dev/input/event* but I can't get the
pointer position that way.

If X can't do it , do I have others solutions?

Thanks in advance,
regards,