PreferredMode is ignored?

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Fri Aug 22 16:33:40 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 07:59 +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:02 AM, Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk at voicenet.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 21 August 2008 11:23:07 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> >> I'm trying to figure out how to start up two monitors (both attached to a
> >> radeon x1300) at two different resolutions by default.  The DVI-0 monitor
> >> should start up at 1280x1024 and the VGA-0 monitor should be at 1152x864.
> >> If I set my PreferredMode to 1280x1024 for both, they both start up at that
> >> resolution, in the correct location.  If I set the PreferredMode for VGA-0
> >> (and *just* VGA-0) to 1152x864, both monitors start up at 1152x864.   I can
> >> then use xrandr to increase the resolution on DVI-0 to 1280x1024.
> >>
> >> I'm attaching my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log file.  Any advice would be
> >> greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Adam
> >
> > Well, if there are no objections, and if no one can confirm that this is the
> > expected behaviour I will go ahead and open up a bug report.
> >

> Does this happen in 1.5/master?
>
> I fixed some issues in the area before..
>
> Dave.

Unfortunately, I can't get anything newer than that version to
configure/compile on FreeBSD at the moment.  The latest code in git
configures but fails to compile with:

window.c: In function 'ChangeWindowAttributes':
window.c:1017: warning: unused variable 'pLayerWin'
mv -f .deps/window.Tpo .deps/window.Plo
make: don't know how to make strcasecmp.c. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /home/adamk/saved/source/xorg/xserver/dix.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/adamk/saved/source/xorg/xserver.

So, unfortunately, I'm stuck with the xserver version I have at the
moment :-(

Adam

believed to be clean.