evdev keyboard problem in xorg 1.5.2 and evdev 2.0.99+

Scott Serr serrjunk at theserrs.net
Tue Dec 30 21:38:44 PST 2008

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 / Intrepid.  I'm working on a multiseat project,
but this is not a multiseat issue.

I disable HAL, to let X handle the input devices:

Section "ServerFlags"
       Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Then specify my keyboard:

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier   "Keyboard0"
   Driver       "evdev"
   Option       "Device"      "/dev/input/event1"
   Option       "CoreKeyboard"
   Option       "XkbRules"    "xorg"
   Option       "XkbModel"    "evdev"
   Option       "XkbLayout"   "us"
EndSection

This works correctly, I'm able to type with my first keyboard and the
second one is not listened to.  This is good.  The problem is keys are
mapped weird.  "up arrow" launches the ScreenShot tool in Gnome.  Gnome
keyboard is set to evdev managed.  It seems I can't give it any Xkb
options to resolve this.

Is this a buggy version of the input-evdev package?  Is this issue on
the radar?  I'll try to test the newer evdev.