xserver: intention of tablet support in x11-input.fdi?

Magnus Vigerlöf Magnus.Vigerlof at home.se
Tue Feb 5 12:35:14 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm wondering about the 'FIXME: Support tablets too.' line in
xserver/config/x11-input.fdi. What are the thoughts around this support?

I'm wondering because I'm working on adding hotplug support to the wacom
driver and know that the configuration of these devices are not a simple 1:1
mapping of hardware into InputDevices.

Stylus, eraser, keys, mouse are all reported through a single kernel device,
and on top of that it is also possible to divide the tablet into separate
sections that are translated into different InputDevices inside the driver as
well. These are all defined as separate InputDevices in the configuration
file today.

So I'm curious of how advanced these rules can be; Is it possible to add
information that will make it possible to define several InputDevices for one
kernel device? Is this a smart thing to do?

On top of that the applications that uses these InputDevices directly
identifies them by their name, so this is probably something that has to be
remembered on a per-user basis. There's also something that is quite
impossible to know automatically, some of the stylus/eraser/... can have
serial id's and this way we can support several different styluses/... on the
same tablet. Naturally we want these to be mapped into different InputDevices
as well.

So.. With all these parameter to take into consideration, what would your
recommendation on how to handle the hotplug configuration be?

Is it easiest to block wacom devices from being automatically added and rely
on another program to add/remove them as they are plugged/unplugged?

Cheers
  Magnus