symbol lookup error: miInitializeCompositeWrapper

Claudio Leonel cls at elaxys.com.br
Thu Feb 7 05:36:04 PST 2008

Hi,

I compiled Xorg 7.3 for a custom Linux distribution and I
got an error when starting X:

    /usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libxaa.so:
    undefined symbol: miInitializeCompositeWrapper

This error occurred when using video drivers from SIS and OPENCHROME.
The first driver I got from the 7.3 tree, the other is
from the openchrome project (www.openchrome.org).
If I use a vesa driver it doesn't occur.

Looking at the sources I found that the symbol
'miInitiazeCompositeWrapper' is defined in:

    xorg-server-1.4/miext/cw/cw.c (part of libcw.a)

It seems that this library was compiled but was not linked to
the xorg server.

Xorg-server was configured with the following options:

  --enable-unix-transport
  --enable-tcp-transport
  --disable-ipv6
  --disable-dependency-tracking