State of X - Google Tech Talk

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Feb 11 22:48:58 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-11 at 22:37 -0800, David Sharp wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2008 8:33 PM, JoJo jojo <onetwojojo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That was ..umm quite interesting,
> >
> > Keith Packard was impressive, at the same time, it was quite light
> on X,
> > perhaps they should forget that they are presenting to the audience
> sitting
> > in front of them,
> > and think about us, who watch it on the internet. Wish the next time
> he
> > decides to speak,
> >  he goes in all the gory details of X innards.
>
> While I agree that many frequent readers of this list might not have
> learned much, I think it's ridiculous to expect them to forget their
> live audience... Also, not all people on the Internet are Xorg
> enthusiasts. I thought the talk was very appropriately informative for
> the audience.

My impression of the talk was that it was too much boring history.  Felt
like high-school classes...  I mean, on Xorg presentation, or no Keith
Packard presentation, is complete without a jaw-dropping demo!  And that
was sorely missing here.  Even more when you consider that the audience
was not necessarily Linux fanboys.

But then again, Keith tells me that they were both sleep deprived.  The
Quake-scene shot was a classic though.  Enjoyed watching the entire
thing nevertheless.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/