How does the Intel/EXA driver accalerate AA trapezoids?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 13 11:02:01 PST 2008

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 19:45:45 +0100, "Clemens Eisserer" wrote:
> Just because of interest, how well does the Intel/EXA driver
> accelerate rendering of antialiased trapezoids?

Currently, the driver isn't doing anything for the step of rasterizing
the trapezoids into a mask.

> Does it accelerate only the composition step after uploading a
> mask-image generated by software-loops,

Yes, that's correct.

>                                         or is it (and the hardware)
> capable enough to do the "whole" rendering process on the GPU?

I think the hardware should be quite capable[*] to do something much
more interesting here. We haven't yet taken the dive into making this
happen yet, (since we've been working hard on removing performance
bugs from the compositing steps).

But since the full hardware programming manual is available, (for the
i965 that is), anybody that's interested should be able to help out
with this. It should be quite interesting and a heck of a lot of fun.

-Carl

[*] I'm speaking only about the i965 here. It's the only Intel chip
for which documentation is freely available, and it's also a radical
change from previous devices. So I don't know if earlier devices would
be as capable or not.