State of X - Google Tech Talk

Thu Feb 14 00:24:05 PST 2008

Harald Braumann wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:37:34 -0800
> But even as a frequent reader of this list it is hard to follow the
> development of all the new and shiny things done in and around X. Until
> smth has been released, information about what's going on is scattered
> on multiple mailing lists, irc channels, devs' personal blogs, etc.
> Also dedicated news sites of some projects are usually updated
> enthusiastically only for a short time after they have been set up.
>
> Maybe people intimately familiar with the development of X could drop a
> line now and then on this list about what's going on. I think many
> would be interested in this kind of update and the barrier to do so
> would be lower than writing an essay to be published on the web
> somewhere or maintaining some news site.

Right now, it is actually a good time to get up to speed.

Go to http://linux.conf.au/programme/presentations and watch the
following talks:
- X Acceleration That Finally Works presented by Carl Worth
- Redefining input in X presented by Peter Hutterer
- Application performance profiling with Xorg presented by Adam Jackson
- Bringing kittens back to life - continuing story of open source
graphics drivers presented by Dave Airlie
- Roadmap to recovery: Pain and Redemption in X driver development
presented by Keith Packard

There was an additional talk by Jesse and Eric at the kernel miniconf. I
don't know if this one has been videotaped and/or is available online.
- Enhancing Linux Graphics 	Jesse Barnes

I think this covers the big things going on right now.

In addition, there are XDS and XDC from last year, which have a wiki
page and summarise the talks.

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/XDC2007Notes (Feb 2007)
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Events/XDS2007/Notes (Sep 2007)

These notes were more or less updated live, so I presume this will
happen during the next XDS/XDC too (whenever they are, I don't know)

LWN had two articles that were summaries of the above talks:
http://lwn.net/Articles/268378/ "LCA: Two talks on the state of X"
http://lwn.net/Articles/267672/ "LCA: Bringing X into a two-handed world"

And finally, there is planet.freedesktop.org, which does help in keeping
up with what's happening. To some degree anyway.

Perfect solution? No, but it is a start, and quite a good one I think.

Cheers,
   Peter