X loses connection with server

John Altenmueller j.altenmueller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 17:05:23 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm not really sure how to explain this problem -- what basically
happens is I'm working away in wmii or fluxbox or whatever, and suddenly
I try to open an application, and then, well, it doesn't open. If I go
over to a running xterm and try to launch the application from there, I
get the following error message:

Can't open display :0.0

This situation is very unpredictable, and as far as I can tell, isn't
caused by a specific application being opened... everything's working
fine, I surf on Firefox for a couple of hours, and then suddenly I can't
open any applications... but the ones that are already open continue to
work.

I usually end up having to restart my X session, which is annoying to
say the least. By the way, I start my X sessions using startx, if that
makes any difference.

Thanks,

John Altenmueller