DMXGetScreenAttributes hangs with pthreads

Roman Bednarek roman at mikronika.com.pl
Thu Feb 21 23:24:13 PST 2008

> Roman Bednarek wrote:
>>
>>    Hello
>>     Quering about DMX screens with DMXGetScreenAttributes hangs when called
>> for a second screen, after XInitThreads was called and when program is
>> linked with pthreads. I have attached a small program to show the problem.
>> It hangs while getting second screen information. I have tested it on few
>> different systems and it always hanged.
>>
>>     Roman Bednarek
>
> If you're making Xlib calls from multiple threads, that's probably the issue.
> Unfortunately, Xlib's threading support is rather unreliable in my
> experience.  Calling XInitThreads() doesn't seem to help either.

    Thanks for a replay. My experience is quite different, our application
draws to screen from multiple threads without any problems, after calling
XInitThreads.
    Here situation is quite different, there are no threads at all only a
query call blocks itself, waiting on a condition variable.

    Roman Bednarek