[RFC] MPX XInput Protocol extensions

Sun Feb 24 23:23:37 PST 2008

I did my homework and wrote up the XI protocol message specifications
that will be in the first merged version of MPX (April 08 probably).

The document resembles the format used in the X Protocol Reference
Manual (Nye, 1994).

HTML version: http://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/Xi/
PDF version: http://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/Xi/mpx_xi_protocol.pdf

Short overview of the new requests:
- ListInputDevices
   + a previously used padding field now specifies the attachment/pairing
   + use field changed
- QueryDevicePointer
   + same as QueryPointer but specifies the device.
- WarpDevicePointer
   + same as WarpPointer but specifies the device.
- ChangeDeviceCursor
   + specify cursor shape for device
- ChangeDeviceHierarchy
   + create/remove new master devices
   + change attachment of slave devices
- ChangeWindowAccess
   + change access rules for devices on a given window. useful for
multi-user GUIs. Not a security feature!
- QueryWindowAccess
   + query access rules
- SetClientPointer/GetClientPointer
   + set the device that is picked when a core request doesn't specify a
device.
- XiSelectEvent
   + select for generic events
- ExtendedGrabDevice
   + grab device, but with generic event masks

Short overview of new events
- DeviceEnterNotify, DeviceLeaveNotify (well, guess)
- DeviceHierarchyChangedEvent
   + sent as a notification after a ChangeDeviceHierarchy
- DeviceClassesChangedEvent
   + sent when the master flips state to reflect a new slave device.

Again, full documents to be found at:
HTML version: http://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/Xi/
PDF version: http://people.freedesktop.org/~whot/Xi/mpx_xi_protocol.pdf

I will try to get a formal review of the core protocol and the behaviour
changes of XI out soon. Meanwhile, please review these additions. Thanks!

Cheers,
   Peter