Preventing screensaver when playing movie?

Erik esigra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:02:55 PST 2008

Suppose that we have the following situation. A user has told the system
to "turn off the display after N minutes of inactivity". Then he starts
the media player, opens a file and presses a button called play. The
media player interprets this as the user saying "play this movie, but do
not turn off the display while playing it, because i will watch it even
though I do not interact with the system".

So the media player has to do something like this. Each time the
application updates the display with a new animation frame, it marks
that update with a special flag, indicating that this is the kind of
thing that the user may be watching even though he has not interacted
with the system
for a while. System then resets the screensaver countdown. However it
does not reset the session locking countdown, because only real input
may do that, for security reasons. So the user may have to give his
password when he wants to interact with the system after playing the movie.

How can the media player achieve this with xorg?