RandR 1.3 additions?

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Jan 22 05:37:48 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 11:09:45AM +0100, Dirk Thierbach wrote:

> > That, at least, is already available in RandR through output properties
> > which can be made 'pending' and take effect on the next mode set.
>
> I guess in theory one could encode everything as "just output properties",
> but that doesn't reflect the underlying structure very well. The
> Conexant chips, for example, need at least about three dozen values.

Output properties were already an afterthought, which only surfaced when
keith looked into supporting tv encoders in september 2006.

Driver developers before already dreamed up full attribute systems
(twini, me, some others, iirc alex too, were briefly discussing this in
2005), but either never had the time or never had the resources to
actually do something about it.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.