Mac mini PPC X.org 1.3.0 (Ubuntu gutsy) and Evesham Alqemi S LCD TV

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:18:05 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 9:01 PM, Stuart Langridge <sil at kryogenix.org> wrote:
> > The DVI port works fine, but your monitor has a funky EDID.  Also you
> > shouldn't need to specify the sync ranges for your monitor as the edid
> > provides those and they look relatively sane.  You can use xrandr once
> > the server is up to switch to the higher res mode:
> > xrandr --output DVI-0 --mode 1280x720
>
> OK, just tried that, and I get something rather odd:
>
> http://kryogenix.org/random/alqemi-s/xrandr-1280x720-hdmi-20080122.jpg

the modeline in the edid may be bad.  try a cvt mode.

> I suspected that this might be because 1280x720 isn't one of the
> "named modes" in the information I've got from Evesham, but xrandr
> only offers 1280x720 and 640x480.

Your monitor's EDID only exposes 3 modes:
640x480, 720p, and 1080i

> > To make X start up in another modeline specify the modeline you want
> > to use in in your monitor section and add
> > Option "PreferredMode" "1280x720"
> > to the monitor section.
>
> Is the information I've got enough to correctly calculate modelines?
> I've looked at http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl but I
> don't understand enough about what it all means...

your best bet is to use cvt.
 $ cvt 1280 720
# 1280x720 59.86 Hz (CVT 0.92M9) hsync: 44.77 kHz; pclk: 74.50 MHz
Modeline "1280x720_60.00"   74.50  1280 1344 1472 1664  720 723 728
748 -hsync +vsync

then add whatever modelines you generate to your monitor section.
then you can use xrandr to try them.  you can also use xrandr to add
new modes on the fly with xrandr --newmode and xrandr --addmode

> I'm also still experiencing the "switch away from X to a VC and then
> back to X to make it work" problem; is there anything I can do about
> that?

What do you mean?  Is the image messed up like above and it gets fixed
after a VT switch or does it fix something else?

Alex