revert b59757e468227127b91fff17b523da4deec8b04d

Stephane Marchesin marchesin at icps.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Jul 22 07:55:39 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade
<pcpa at mandriva.com.br> wrote:
> Aaron Plattner wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 07:13:59AM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>> I do not see the point of adding autoconfig for drivers we don't ship
>>> with X.org.
>  There is an openchrome entry there also, and Xorg doesn't ship it.
>
>  I think the nouveau driver should also be modified to work more easily
> as a "fallback", and not require a kernel module (it still doesn't work
> correctly anyway)

Actually, this is not our plan. The bigger picture is that we are
moving towards kernel modesetting and making the X.Org server running
as non-root, and this requires a kernel component. End users ask to be
able to run X.Org without root privileges, and also want to avoid a
kernel module at the same time. This is not possible, because running
X.Org as a user requires that kernel module to handle all the
low-level things  that'd require root privs otherwise. Really, you
can't have your cake and eat it.

FWIW, I think other drivers are going to drop the kernel-less mode at
some point. We just happen to be a little ahead on that front.

> but it is better then plain nv. And nouveau also makes
> it hard to use it because it also requires gallium...

Why is nouveau hard to use because of gallium ?

Stephane