inputproto: Changes to 'master'

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jul 29 20:56:57 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:16:29AM -0700, Alan Hourihane wrote:
>  configure.ac |    2 +-
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)
>
> New commits:
> commit 54465c743354dd138f4ccacc196198e36c2ecdba
> Author: Alan Hourihane <alanh at tungstengraphics.com>
> Date:   Tue Jul 29 14:15:04 2008 +0100
>
>     bump to 1.99.9.3

I intentionally didn't bump it yesterday, but it'd like to get some feedback
from the list on this:
Bumping the version of pre-release protocol headers with every change seems a
bit excessive to me. With regards to inputproto, there's more breakers to come
before we settled down for a stable XI 2, and unless they are all done in one
go, we'll eventually see a 1.99.9.23.

>From an IRC conversation about a year or two ago, the consent was that if
one is running git master, you have to be prepared to update other components
without further notice (I do not have logs of this conversation).

Note that no release was made for any of 1.99.9.x yet, so there are no
tarballs available anyway. Bumping the version is - so far - solely for us
working with git anyway. One more reason to hold back on it for a while, and
bump (and release) it when it's more settled and actually resembles an
alpha/beta version.

Opinions?

Cheers,
  Peter