colour management and dual-head displays

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Sun Jun 1 07:56:49 PDT 2008

Somewhat tangentially to the colour management discussing currently
going on: My desktop spans two different monitors (laptop's internal LCD
+ an external monitor).  These two monitors show the same RGB values
differently.  What needs to be done to have applications look the same
on either monitor?  What about windows spanning both monitors?

Could this be an argument for the composition manager to handle
color-space conversion, at least in some cases?  Figuring out which parts
of which widgets fall on which monitor might be a bit too much of a
complexity to require from the toolkits and applications.

Or is this use-case unreasonably hard to support?  I also wonder about
clone modes.

Marius Gedminas
--
Those who can't write, write manuals.